COMPLEMENT LEADS TO PROGRESSIVE AChR LOSS AND MEMBRANE DESTRUCTION17,21
- In healthy individuals, ACh binding to densely packed AChRs initiates the signal for muscle contraction at the NMJ.17
- The highly folded junctional membrane structure helps amplify the signal.17
- In AChR-Ab+ gMG, autoantibody binding to AChR recruits complement, resulting in formation of the MAC.17,21
- MAC inserts into the membrane, causing focal lysis and triggering shedding of membrane fragments.17,21
- AChRs are shed along with membrane fragments, reducing their number and activity.21
- Membrane loss flattens junctional fold structure, further disrupting neuromuscular signal transmission.22
For US Healthcare Professionals Only
The contents of this website are intended for US healthcare professionals only.
By clicking “Continue to HCP site,” you are confirming that you are a US healthcare professional.